What's New In Glens Falls

Downtown Revitalization Initiatives May Expand to Warren St

user-pic
Warren Street, home to both the Hyde Museum and World Awareness Children's Museum, is a prime opportunity for further development and revitalization in downtown Glens Falls. 

The community has long wanted to encourage more foot traffic between the museums on Warren and the restaurants and entertainment along Glen Street. Local officials and cultural leaders in the community think that an effort to revitalize and redevelop other properties along Warren Street would help to dramatically expand the walkable areas of downtown Glens Falls. 

hyde-museum-entrance.jpg

Though the Downtown Revitalization Initiative grant is earmarked for projects that are ready to get started in the Arts, Wellness, Entertainment district and along South Street, grant administrator and president of EDC Warren County Edward Bartholomew told the Post Star that local officials have been in contact with the Department of State about separate funding for developing Warren Street. The separate funding would come through the city's state-funded Brownfield Opportunity Area program, which focuses on revitalizing neighborhoods that were once subject to environmental contamination. 

Four areas along Warren Street have been identified as prime opportunities for redevelopment: the Native Textiles building at 211 Warren Street, the Glens Falls Armory (constructed in 1895), Fredella Avenue, and several vacant parcels. 

The Native Textiles building is several hundred square feet and includes parking for 80 vehicles. The building was founded in 1916 as a lace mill and was in operation until 2005. Bartholomew told the Post Start that the building would likely continue to be used for manufacturing. The building is currently owned by developer Geard Nudi. 

The Armory has been vacant since 2008, when the National Guard moved to Queensbury. Finch Paper now owns the building after buying it at auction in 2010, but though the building has architectural character and historical significance, the unusual interior layout and limited parking make repurposing difficult. According to the Post Star, the Hyde Collection has already ruled out using the building. 

Fredella Avenue was originally developed as affordable housing for immigrants from Italy in 1912. The 2013 Downtown Vision and Development Strategy recommended the property be redeveloped with new housing, a multi-story apartment building, and a city parking lot. 


Source:

Leave a comment

Leave a Comment