The Charles R. Wood Theater unveiled the new Rising Stars at the Wood program for 6th to 12th graders, expanding from its 2008 inception.
The 2013 program, slated for November 15 - 17, will feature some new changes:
New for 2013
- Juried high school visual art show
- Reduced ticket price
- Transformed from a spring event to a fall festival.
- Two different age groups will now be featured: 6th to 8th grade and 9th to 12th grade.
The Rising Stars at the Wood program is a great opportunity for middle and high school students to showcase their talents to the community. Area students are selected by a panel of respected theatrical veterans of the area, the Rising Stars program is highly competitive.
Looking to audition? September marks the audition periods for the four performing arts sections. To schedule an audition, please call 518-798-9663 extension 30.
- Vocal auditions - September 16 & 17 from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm: Classical, Broadway and contemporary vocalists are encouraged to audition. Please prepare two contrasting pieces of music. An accompanist will be provided. Vocalists must be available for week-night evening rehearsals September 25 - November 14 (exact weeknights to be determined). 9-12 grade vocalists must be available for Sunday evening rehearsals. Selected vocalists in 6-8 grade will be instructed by Meredith Reed. Selected vocalists in 9-12 grade will be directed by Pamela Granger.
- Theater auditions - September 18 & 19 from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm: Actors should prepare two contrasting monologues no longer than 4 minutes each. Actors must be available for Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evening rehearsals September 18th-November 14th and some Saturday rehearsals. Actors will be instructed by Erin Dove.
- Instrumental auditions - September 23 & 24 from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm: Instrumentalists of all styles and genres are encouraged to audition. Small bands are also welcome. Please prepare two contrasting pieces of music. Instrumentalists must be available for Friday evening rehearsals September 25 - November 14. Instrumentalists will be instructed by Christopher Reed.
- Dance auditions - October 1 & 2 from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm: Dancers may perform no more than 2 solo dances for auditions. If accepted, dancers will perform those pieces during the festival. Group numbers are also encouraged and will be accepted separately from solo pieces. Therefore a dancer may perform two solos and be in group numbers as well. Dancers must be available for evening rehearsals the week of November 11 - November 14, 2013.
- Visual art submissions - October 4 by 5:00 pm: All images must be received electronically, 300 dpi and no larger than 1200 pixels. Selected students will be notified by Friday October 18, 2013. Artwork drop off will be November 5 - November 10, 2013. Only students in 9th to 12th grades are eligible.
Check out the 2012 interview with Ben Shimkus about his journey to becoming a Rising Star!