Things to Do > Glens Falls Canoeing
Glens Falls is a great destination for canoeing because of its easy access to lakes, rivers, flows, streams, and other beautiful watermarks. All a canoe-er needs do is to pick his destination, pack up and go!
Spots to Canoe near Glens Falls NY:
- Glen Lake in Queensbury NY. There is a free launch site for easy canoe access open every day from dawn to dusk, equipped with a new floating deck and a dry fire hydrant. Only top boats are allowed, trailers are forbidden.
- Spier Falls on the Hudson River. Off of exit 17 on the Northway and over the mountain heading towards Corinth lies a wonderful launch into a small section of the river with several coves and paddling sites for an exquisite few hours of canoeing.
- Feeder Canal. Located between Glens Falls and Hudson falls, the Feeder canal route offers some unique sights of the surrounding area, including downtown Glens Falls NY, from a watery perspective.
- Northwest Bay in Lake George NY A good day trip area, with scenic a scenic landscape reflected in the clear waters of Bolton Landing’s beautiful bay.
It's easy to find a place to canoe near Glens falls! Located right near the Adirondack Park which is home to many bodies of water but also acres of scenic untouched wildlife and Northeast American landscapes. The incredible Blue Mountain Lake, with its incredible clear waters and ample greenery and scenery, is situated almost at the epicenter of the park.
In the northwest corner of the park Bog Lake turns into a river and flows into Hitchens Pond for a long, scenic paddle. Carry falls also lies in the same corner, and Saranac Lake to the north. The midwest region of the park Holds both Lake Lila and Otter Lake, the first body larger and over a mile wide in all directions, and the other a much smaller exploration for the leisurely canoe.
In the southern areas, the west can boast of the Cedar River, with a length of almost five miles and varying from widths of over 100 ft to narrow beds, and the Fulton Chain Lakes of Old Forge; variety that could satisfy all paddling tastes. The east, however, can compare with the Schroon River, a narrow bed that flows 29 miles from the magnificent Schroon River down a long, scraggly trail that resembles a roller coaster all the way to Warrensburg, NY – an irresistible invite to thrill-seeking paddlers.
With the Schroon River, paddlers can go outside of the Adirondack Park to look for good boating. Second Pond is situated a little over a half-hour’s drive from Albany, NY. The small size and closeness to metropolitan areas make Second a perfect day or half-day trip for experienced or beginning paddlers. Round Lake, the namesake of Round Lake, NY, is between Albany and Saratoga Springs, and has both a spacious lake and a small stream that gives a paddlers an option to take a short detour to Anthony Kill in the next town over, Mechanicville. This is another good short trip.
These lakes and rivers are only a few of the thousands of waterways New York State holds. Paddlers are cautioned to always prepare well for their trip to be safe, avoid accidentally paddling into Canada (it can happen in NY), and above all, to enjoy the magnificent waters and scenes that the New York waterways have to offer.
- Glens Falls
Discover Hometown USA, Glens Falls NY!
Visit Queensbury, NY - a bustling town sandwiched between Glens Falls and Lake George!
- Fort Edward
Learn more about the town of Fort Edward in Upstate NY!
- Lake Luzerne
Read more about the quaint area of Hadley - Lake Luzerne!
- South Glens Falls
Learn more about the Village of South Glens Falls - a close knit community located in Upstate NY!
- CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic
The Adirondack Thunder, ECHL affiliate of the Calgary Flames, will host the 2017 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic at the Glens Falls Civic Center, to be held on January 18, 2017 at 8:00 p.m. All-Star Classic festivities will run from Tuesday, January 17 through Wednesday, January 18.
See full details
- Chowderfest 2017 in Saratoga Springs, NY
Come enjoy samples of chowder from local restaurants in Saratoga Springs at the 2017 Saratoga Chowderfest on February 4th, 2017. Once you taste them all, you can vote for your favorite!
See full details
- The Great Upstate Boat Show In Queensbury NY
Dreaming of summer fun out on the water? Tubing, fishing, or simply cruising and enjoying your surroundings? Then get prepared for the 2017 boating season and visit the Great Upstate Boat Show!
See full details
- The Rotary 5K & Corporate Challenge
Calling on all runners and walkers! The Glens Falls Rotary annually hosts a 5K road race in April each year. The race is held at the SUNY Adirondack campus on Bay Road in Queensbury, and the course is mostly flat and fast with just one small hill. This year the club has selected the Chapman Historical Museum and the Greater Glens Falls Senior Citizen Center to be the beneficiaries of the event.
See full details
- + See all Glens Falls Region events
+ Add your event