Things to Do > Glens Falls Canoeing
Glens Falls is a great destination for canoeing because of its easy access to lakes, rivers, flows, streams, and other beautiful watermarks. All a canoe-er needs do is to pick his destination, pack up and go!
Spots to Canoe near Glens Falls NY:
- Glen Lake in Queensbury NY. There is a free launch site for easy canoe access open every day from dawn to dusk, equipped with a new floating deck and a dry fire hydrant. Only top boats are allowed, trailers are forbidden.
- Spier Falls on the Hudson River. Off of exit 17 on the Northway and over the mountain heading towards Corinth lies a wonderful launch into a small section of the river with several coves and paddling sites for an exquisite few hours of canoeing.
- Feeder Canal. Located between Glens Falls and Hudson falls, the Feeder canal route offers some unique sights of the surrounding area, including downtown Glens Falls NY, from a watery perspective.
- Northwest Bay in Lake George NY A good day trip area, with scenic a scenic landscape reflected in the clear waters of Bolton Landing’s beautiful bay.
It's easy to find a place to canoe near Glens falls! Located right near the Adirondack Park which is home to many bodies of water but also acres of scenic untouched wildlife and Northeast American landscapes. The incredible Blue Mountain Lake, with its incredible clear waters and ample greenery and scenery, is situated almost at the epicenter of the park.
In the northwest corner of the park Bog Lake turns into a river and flows into Hitchens Pond for a long, scenic paddle. Carry falls also lies in the same corner, and Saranac Lake to the north. The midwest region of the park Holds both Lake Lila and Otter Lake, the first body larger and over a mile wide in all directions, and the other a much smaller exploration for the leisurely canoe.
In the southern areas, the west can boast of the Cedar River, with a length of almost five miles and varying from widths of over 100 ft to narrow beds, and the Fulton Chain Lakes of Old Forge; variety that could satisfy all paddling tastes. The east, however, can compare with the Schroon River, a narrow bed that flows 29 miles from the magnificent Schroon River down a long, scraggly trail that resembles a roller coaster all the way to Warrensburg, NY – an irresistible invite to thrill-seeking paddlers.
With the Schroon River, paddlers can go outside of the Adirondack Park to look for good boating. Second Pond is situated a little over a half-hour’s drive from Albany, NY. The small size and closeness to metropolitan areas make Second a perfect day or half-day trip for experienced or beginning paddlers. Round Lake, the namesake of Round Lake, NY, is between Albany and Saratoga Springs, and has both a spacious lake and a small stream that gives a paddlers an option to take a short detour to Anthony Kill in the next town over, Mechanicville. This is another good short trip.
These lakes and rivers are only a few of the thousands of waterways New York State holds. Paddlers are cautioned to always prepare well for their trip to be safe, avoid accidentally paddling into Canada (it can happen in NY), and above all, to enjoy the magnificent waters and scenes that the New York waterways have to offer.
- Glens Falls
Discover Hometown USA, Glens Falls NY!
Visit Queensbury, NY - a bustling town sandwiched between Glens Falls and Lake George!
- Fort Edward
Learn more about the town of Fort Edward in Upstate NY!
- Lake Luzerne
Read more about the quaint area of Hadley - Lake Luzerne!
- South Glens Falls
Learn more about the Village of South Glens Falls - a close knit community located in Upstate NY!
- Glens Falls Ladies Night
Calling all ladies! Ladies' Night is a special evening of shopping, entertainment, discounts, prizes, and treats geared just for women, in Downtown Glens Falls. You won't want to miss this! So, grab your girlfriends and make a date to be downtown!
See full details
- Dreamz: ATF's 20th Anniversary Celebration/Benefit
From the initial dreams of its founders back in 1994 to today's thriving theatre company, ATF's supporters have played a vital role in ATF's success. Come celebrate the 20th Anniversary of our area's top professional summer theatre.
See full details
- 4th Annual Winter Raptor Fest in Fort Edward, NY
Experience the wonder of flight as hawks and falcons demonstrate their aerial agility at Friends of the IBA's 4th annual Winter Raptor Fest! Meet and learn about many of the owls, hawks and falcons of the Washington County Grasslands Important Bird Area, including our most endangered species!
See full details
- Glens Falls Rotary Club Third Annual 5K Race
Calling all runners, walkers and all levels in between! Kick off the racing season at the Glens Falls Rotary 4th annual 5K Road Race, taking place on Saturday, April 12, 2014.
See full details
- + See all Glens Falls Region events
+ Add your event