Holiday Decorating Guide
Make your house a winter wonderland!
Tis the season for decorating, no matter what your style! This time of year you can really let your creative side show. Decorate your house with not only store purchased items but with homemade decorations as well!
There are so many ways to add holiday cheer to your home this season. Whether you are preparing your home for a party or just for your own personal enjoyment, here are some tips to help get your home in full season spirit!
- Decide on an overall look and feel. Plan whether you're going for a classy holiday look, a funky theme, a kid-friendly atmosphere or another style this year. If you have a plan in place and colors in mind before you set out shopping, you are sure to have a more cohesive and attractive holiday display without buying extras that don't fit in. Need inspiration?
- Traditional - Colors: Red and green - Decor: Ornaments, lights, stockings, wreaths, snowflakes, poinsettia, stripes, candy canes, tinsel, garland
- Classy - Colors: White/off-white and gold/silver - Decor: Candles, ornaments, white lights, vases, ribbons, simple wreaths, stars, bells, glitter
- Country - Colors: Deep green, rustic neutrals, deep red - Decor: Fabrics, evergreens, pinecones, candles, wooden ornaments, anything earthy or weathered
- Kidsy - Colors: Red, green and everything in between- Decor: Holiday characters, garland, multi-colored lights, blinking lights, candy canes, homemade ornaments
- Funky - Colors: Dark blue, pink or purple - Decor: solid colored lights, polka dots, sparkles, big ribbons, fun patterns
- Decorate within your personal style. Just because red, green and glitter are the holiday norm doesn't mean that you have to abandon your personal taste. Put your own personal twist on the decorations that adorn your home for the holidays. Feel free to use colors that work with your furniture and home decor, colors that coordinate with the wrapping paper you love, or simply colors that appeal to you.
- Don't go overboard. There are so many ideas and decorations to put up, but do not try to do them all! It is hard to resist the urge to cover every inch of your house with tinsel and lights, but you must resist. Decorating with less instead of more leads to a classier look. Pick a decoration or scene to be the focal point of the room and then decorate around it. A good way to avoid the cluttered look is to stick with a single theme for your house or for each particular room.
- Involve your kids in the decorating. Trimming the tree is not the only time to get your kids involved. Let your kids make decorations for your home. The holidays are about family and nothing is better than decorating your home with your kids' creations! Save them and use them year after year. Need ideas? Here are some quick kid-friendly holiday decorating projects to try!
- Make snowman cut-outs to string as garland
- Customize porcelain ornaments from a craft store
- Create a wreath using evergreens and old Christmas ornaments
- Assemble a felt wall hanging with a holiday theme
- Use pinecones to create fun and thrifty holiday centerpieces
- Decorate a festive photo frame to surround a holiday greeting or song lyric
- Let these spark your own creative ideas!
- Glens Falls
Discover Hometown USA, Glens Falls NY!
Visit Queensbury, NY - a bustling town sandwiched between Glens Falls and Lake George!
- Fort Edward
Learn more about the town of Fort Edward in Upstate NY!
- Lake Luzerne
Read more about the quaint area of Hadley - Lake Luzerne!
- South Glens Falls
Learn more about the Village of South Glens Falls - a close knit community located in Upstate NY!
- 2014 Saratoga DBA Fall Festival in Saratoga Springs, NY
This unique Halloween Celebration encourages families to have fun together, enjoying the hospitality of Saratoga Springs’ businesses and the great spirit of the community.
See full details
- Boo 2 You! Trick or Treat in Glens Falls, NY
Glens Falls welcomes all the little ghosts, goblins, witches, and princesses for a Halloween block party complete with entertainment, family friendly activities, a costume parade, and more!
See full details
- ARCC Centennial Gala
The Gala of the Century - kicking off the next 100 years in our own unique style! Join us for an evening filled with opportunities to mix, mingle and enjoy yourself the way you choose to celebrate. This unique event features four genres of musical entertainment from some of the area's most gifted and talented , a quiet corner where you can spend the evening your way, numerous choices of the finest food and artisanal beverages the area has to offer (samplings and specialty drinks galore along with a full cash bar), the chance to win a full year's worth of "Live Like You Are On Vacation" raffle prizes and a Wine Pull. There is no reserved seating, however, ample seating of your choice will be available. This will be a night to remember that everyone will be talking about for the next 100 years - don't miss it! **Black Tie Optional Special room rates at the Sagamore starting at $100 per night. Please click here for more information. Centennial weekend celebration schedule of available activities: Friday: Welcome reception the Rec Center from 6:00 pm -8:00 pm offering complimentary hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar will be available. Saturday: Golf Tournament (Weather permitting) - 10:00 am modified shotgun. ?$100.00 for a team of two. Includes : golf, cart, range sleeve logo balls. *Best ball tournament with 2 man teams History Tour 10:00 am, complimentary Kitchen Tour, 12:00 noon - complimentary Culinary Demo and Wine Tasting -1:30 pm, complimentary Morgan Sightseeing Cruise (Weather permitting) - 2:30 pm, complimentary *Spa and Salon packages will be available all day on Saturday, please make sure to make a reservation - Massage discounts and packages including mani & pedis and shampoo and style Gala doors open 6:00 pm **Black Tie Optional
See full details
- WWAARC Annual Fall Gala: Jewels and Jerseys
Celebrate the season at this gala to benefit the WWAARC. Don your finest and rub elbows at the luxurious and pristine Hall of Springs in Saratoga Springs, NY. This "Jewels and Jerseys" gala will have sports stars, live entertainment, auctions, and chocolate & wine tastings.
See full details
- Chapman Historical Museum Annual Wine & Chocolate Tasting
Wines of all varieties from around the world, locally made decadent chocolates and artisan cheeses. Live entertainment by George Wilson, a Silent Auction of Wine-Themed Gift Baskets!
See full details
- + See all Glens Falls Region events
+ Add your event