The information you are viewing for this event is from 2017.
Please check back for updates.
Lake George Polar Plunge
Every year, hundreds gather on the frosty shores of Lake George for a daring New Years Day swim, known as the Polar Plunge. On Sunday, January 1, 2017, that tradition continues at Shepard Park Beach where about 1,000 participants are expected to take part in the Lake George Polar Plunge.
The Polar Plunge will begin at 1:00pm with the first 400 participants going in. The next 400 will go in at 1:15pm, and so on.
After the plunge is over, there will be a party at Duffy's Tavern featuring drink specials and live music with The Master Cylinders Band.
It is free to participate in the Polar Plunge; however, you must register for it at Duffy's Tavern.
Registration will take place at Duffy's Tavern on December 31 from 11:00am-5:00pm. Registration on January 1 (the day of the plunge) will take place starting at 10:00am. If you can't make registration, there is a form you can fill out and then bring in to Duffy's Tavern.
In addition, there is an option to purchase a 2017 Polar Plunge long-sleeved t-shirt at Duffy's Tavern for $15.
- Pack a towel and water shoes
- Wear your swimsuit under your clothes
- Bring easy to get into warm clothes (and shoes!) for after the Plunge
- For your own safety, never dive into the water
- Bring a plastic bag for wet clothes, and somewhere to store your dry clothes
- Bring along a disposable, waterproof camera
- Have fun!